Thursday, January 15, 2009

How to Tame Summer Job Applications
Part 7


After making the final selection, I emailed a job offer to them which outlined the types of work they would be doing and how much they would be paid. They had invested alot of their time with us already, and I wanted to be clear about what to expect by working for us. It would be a job. A real job, with real responsibilities, and with real meaning.

Once they accepted the job offer, we set up the exact date they could start. Some could start sooner than others, so instead of making them wait, I let them start when they were ready.

I notified the bosses about their arrival, I notified the leaders, I put their names on the staff schedule, and I assigned them to projects. Even if the project was non-billable, I wanted their name on the schedule with a specific assignment for each of them.

I continued to inform our staff about the summer students and highlighted their skills. I impressed on them the importance of creating meaningful tasks for the students to do. They also did not have to think up tasks on their own. If a student ran out of work, they should come to me so I can give them an assignment. Looking back, I think that our younger staff appreciated this much more than the older staff. Perhaps because it wasn't that long ago that they were in school and wished they could have had this opportunity. Staff who had been there longer only knew about students who were some clients kid and who didn't have much work to do. They also did not realize how much more advanced these students were.

At this point, I realized I needed to get some structure ready for the students. Yikes! Not another schedule?



Previous:   Part 1     Part 2     Part 3     Part 4     Part 5     Part 6
Top of this post:   Part 7
Next:   Part 8
.

No comments: