Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How to Tame Summer Job Applications
Part 5


Did I ask my bosses if I could develop a process? No.

Did I tell them what I was doing? No. I just did it. I figured that the worst that could happen was that I would interview a bunch of college students and have to tell all of them that they weren't hired. The sad truth about the bosses was that their only interest in summer students was how it could improve their chances of getting another project. Furthermore, the only time they showed an interest in attending a career day at the colleges was if they thought they could be seen by their competitors.

Back to something more positive and constructive. Here is the general schedule I set up:

  1. Begin accepting applications: January 1

  2. Applications due: March 1

  3. First round of interviews: week of Spring break

  4. Second round of interviews: week following Spring break

  5. Job offers made: March 30

  6. Summer job begins: First week after school gets out

  7. Summer job ends: One weeks before school begins

What can you infer from this schedule?
  1. We expect students to work during the summer.

  2. If you miss the deadline, you miss your chance to work with us.

  3. If you're serious about working for us, you'll have to do without at least one day of your Spring break.

  4. We only want students who can think about their future and make plans early.

  5. We want students who can meet deadlines.

  6. Summer jobs are not hand outs.

  7. We will treat our students with dignity and respect.

  8. We will not minimize their contributions.

This was a brand-new concept for our firm. Summer interns were typically seen as unskilled helpers with little or no interest in architecture, design, or construction. If they could drive and had a car, they could run errands. If they were boys, they could help move boxes in the file storage or re-arrange furniture. If they were girls, they could run copies and carry light stuff. If they had some intelligence and were interested in working, they might be entrusted with filing.

For the first time, I was in a postition where I could do something about it...even though I didn't have permission or support from upper management.


Previous:   Part 1     Part 2     Part 3     Part 4
Top of this post:   Part 5
Next:   Part 6     Part 7     Part 8
.

No comments: