Monday, November 17, 2008

LBJ Library

I wandered into the LBJ Presidential library today during the lunch hour. Parking is free, and the library is also free. I have been there several times before, but each time I'm fascinated by all the artifacts that are on display.

The exhibit space is arranged such that you walk through it chronologically. It starts with the early 1900s, I suppose to get your mind in the time frame of when LBJ was born. One of the articles was an original (I think) front page of a newspaper dated April 26, 1912. The entire page was about the sinking of the Titanic. Much of the information was accurate, except for the part where they stated that the sink ran head long into a ice burg, crashing though its front hull. At the time of the writing, 675 people had come back on lifeboats, and they weren't 100% sure about the other 1200 people.

Upstairs was an exhibit about the space program. There were original space suits, a piece of a console from NASA in the 60s, the compass that Lindbergh used on his trans-Atlantic flight, and several medals received by Chuck Yeager.

Although I was there for less than an hour, it was a very moving experience.

No comments: